Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pre-trip Post #2

As I am packing for my trip I thought I should post one more time before I actually get to India.  In this post I will talk about something that was brought to my attention by my girlfriend Stephanie Williams, she showed me a video on “India’s secret.”  The video is about how families in India are having ultrasounds done in order to find out the gender of their unborn children.  This practice is not uncommon here in the US but in India families are deciding to abort the child if it is a girl and not a boy.  The reason families are doing this is because of the dowry the family would have to pay to the future groom’s family.   A dowry is illegal in India but this law goes unchecked and is still practiced by many in India.  I am posting the link for the video at the bottom of this post if you care to watch it.
I don’t know how old this video is but I do expect to see more males than I do females during my travels in India.  In the United States there are more females then there are males, the opposite is true in India.  In the major cities I don’t think that the numbers will be extremely lopsided compared to maybe smaller villages, but I do expect to see a difference.     
Video 
http://news.yahoo.com/video/tech-15749651/india-s-deadly-secret-27566497.html

No comments:

Post a Comment